Fredericton mushroom-based preservative company sprouts funding
Chinova Bioworks, a company that makes a preservative called chitosan out of mushrooms for the food and beverage industry, has received $2 million investment money from DSM Venturing BV. Venture capital firm AgFunder and non-profit Natural Products Canada were also in on the round of funding that will go towards building Chinova’s team and scaling up manufacturing.
Unemployment falls across Canada, almost
According to Statistic’s Canada’s July data, unemployment dropped to 5.8 percent, a 0.2 per cent decrease. In Newfoundland, the number of people working increased dramatically by 2,400, while in the other three Atlantic Canadian provinces there was little change: Nova Scotia increased slightly to 8 per cent unemployment, while Prince Edward Island’s rose from 8.9 per cent to 9.5 and New Brunswick stayed the course at 7.5 per cent.
Plant-based restaurant putting down roots in St. John’s
A new vegan restaurant will soon be open in the former Jumping Bean coffee shop on Harvey Road. Green Kitchen, who are aiming to open at by the end of August, will focus on a variety of menu items like nachos and burgers, but everything will be plant-based and vegan.
New apartment building green lighted in Stratford
Stratford P.E.I.’s town council has approved the building of a five-story apartment building at Michael Thomas Way. The 79-unit building was okayed after the second application and a re-design of the building’s exterior, designed by SableArc Studios.
Halifax Thai restaurant opening shop in St. John’s
The much-loved Halifax eatery, Gingergrass Thai and Vietnamese Restaurant, has announced they will open a second location in St. John’s at the base of the new The MIX apartment building. After rent on their Halifax location was upped 100% owner Nira Nugroho closed shop a year ago and is still looking for a new Halifax location, but the St. John’s arm of Gingergrass is set to open this fall.
- Atlantic Canadian startups attract record investments — and 4 other things to know this week
- Win tickets to sold-out Obama event
- Coffee shop opens inside Volta Labs
- Startup Canada awards honour Atlantic entrepreneurs
- Volta bestows ecosystem awards to Atlantic Canadian startup supporters
- Feds invest $47-million into Port of Halifax
- Atlantic Business Magazine founders inducted into AJAs Hall of Fame
- P.E.I. welcomes five business leaders into hall of fame
- UNB to offer cannabis courses in tourism and business
- St. John’s flocks to The Rec Room entertainment and dining complex