Atlantic Container Line, the New Jersey based shipping company, has announced the closure of their office in Halifax at the end of 2018. As one of the only global shipping companies headquartered in Halifax and almost 50-year old tenancy at the port, the company says it can’t continue office operations. The twice weekly calls to Halifax will not be affected meaning six people stay on staff but 15 will not.
National insurance company purchases New Brunswick firm
The nationwide insurance management agency, Totten Insurance Group, has acquired Saint John-based Anderson McTague & Associates Ltd. The Atlantic Canadian company have worked as independent insurance brokers since 1937 and President Chuck McTague will join Totten and report to Dei Cont.
Newfoundland IT companies consolidate into Vision33
St. John’s-based zedIT Solutions has announced they will be consolidating their three businesses which will be known as Vision33. President Tony Whalen has been running the three companies — zedIT solutions which handled eGovernment solutions, zedSuite’s software solutions and the current company Vision33 — for 15 years with 30 offices and 400 employees around the world and will now run them all under the latter company’s branding.
Cat cafe to open in Fredericton
New Brunswick’s first cat cafe is set to open later this month in Fredericton. The Puurfect Cup – A Cat Cafe is working in partnership with the local SPCA to provide a temporary home to adoptable cats so patrons can enjoy a good cup of coffee and a cuddle with a kitty when the cafe opens on October 20.
Grant Thornton acquires Charlottetown accounting firm
MacPherson Roche Smith, a Charlottetown-based accounting firm, has been purchased by Grant Thornton LLP. The public accounting and consulting firm, which has been operating for more than 40 years, will see their 25 employees join the Grant Thornton team as part of the sale.
- Atlantic Canadian startups attract record investments — and 4 other things to know this week
- Win tickets to sold-out Obama event
- Coffee shop opens inside Volta Labs
- Startup Canada awards honour Atlantic entrepreneurs
- Volta bestows ecosystem awards to Atlantic Canadian startup supporters
- Feds invest $47-million into Port of Halifax
- Atlantic Business Magazine founders inducted into AJAs Hall of Fame
- P.E.I. welcomes five business leaders into hall of fame
- UNB to offer cannabis courses in tourism and business
- St. John’s flocks to The Rec Room entertainment and dining complex